The COVID-19 crisis is driving demand for help from edHEALTH’s population health vendor. Under this program, the highest risk, highest cost employees and their covered families receive a coordinated care approach that supports their needs. With a focus on the 5% of the population that comprises 53% of claims, these patients are at high risk for COVID-19.
COVID-19 Risk Factors
According to the Centers for Disease Control, COVID-19 risk factors include:
- Age 65 or over
- Lung risk (e.g., asthma; COPD; tracheostomy)
- Heart risk (e.g., Coronary Artery Disease; Pulmonary Hypertension)
- Diabetes risk (Type I or Type II)
- Neurological risk (e.g., Cystic Fibrosis; Muscular Dystrophy; Parkinson’s Disease)
- Immune system risk (e.g., organ or bone marrow transplant; Systemic Lupus)
- Cancer risk (e.g., malignant neoplasms; Leukemia)
- Liver risk (e.g., End Stage Renal Disease; Hypertensive Chronic Kidney Disease)
- And more (e.g., pregnancy and extreme obesity)
Our Business Partner is Set Up to Assist During Crisis
edHEALTH’s data shows that many employees and family members suffer from these conditions, and benefit from the support of this program. During the COVID-19 epidemic, all program clinicians work from home and can securely access patient Electronic Health Records so they can help patients get the care they need and answer any concerns.
Common Questions and Concerns
Many patients and family members are anxious about COVID-19 and its potential impact to their own health and their family members. Patients often have questions after they leave healthcare appointments, but it’s frequently hard to reach doctors and nurses. With this program, help is a phone call or email away from 8AM to 8PM. Some common COVID-19-related questions include:
- Am I at higher risk for COVID-19, and what steps should I take to prevent infection?
- I’m now working at home and feeling isolated, what resources can I access to help with this adjustment?
- My children are at home and I’m trying to work; I need help balancing these competing demands.
- My elderly parent is alone and feeling isolated; what can I do to help remotely?
- I’m feeling anxious and need help; what do you recommend?
This program ensures privacy while using predictive modeling to identify those in need of support early in their care journey. Personal health data is secure; the vendor doesn’t share it with member schools or edHEALTH. Additionally, they store all data consistent with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) privacy standards.
Potential Reduction in High Cost Claims
In order to bend healthcare rate increases, it’s critical to reduce claims costs. Information, education, and decision support of this program help decrease unnecessary costs and utilization. The program’s clinical staff provides personalized care for high-risk, high-cost employees and covered dependents. Through phone and secure email, participants receive support for medical decisions.
Our business partner provides communications that are easy to understand and customized for each institution. Participating schools report high employee satisfaction and comfort with the program and its protection of patient privacy.
Easy to Enroll
For additional information and to schedule a half-hour implementation call, contact edHEALTH.